Medical transportation services are provided under the Medicaid program to SSI and Medicaid eligible individuals for the purpose of accessing medical care.
Modes of medical transportation
Bus, taxi, ambulette, ambulance, and mileage for private cars are usual.
Who determines the correct mode of transportation?
Determination is made by the patient's physician and/or medical practitioner in conjunction with prescribed guidelines within which the unit operates.
Who chooses the providers of medical transportation?
The individual chooses from a list of approved providers and vendors.
What is the process for those enrolled in managed care plans?
- Please note: Effective Jan. 1, 2012, managed care transportation will be handled by Medical Answering Services, LLC (MAS).
Getting approval for medical transportation
The Medical Transportation Unit is located at MAS at 375 West Onondaga Blvd., Syracuse, NY 13202. Their mailing address is:
PO Box 11998
Syracuse, NY 13218
Bus and private car approvals are handled by the local Department of Social Services district offices. The SSI Unit is located at 112 East Post Road, White Plains, NY 10601. The phone number is (914) 995-6771.
How do I contact Medicaid transportation services?
To schedule, cancel or inquire about Medicaid transportation services, contact MAS by either
- Phone: (866) 883-7865
- Fax: (315) 299-2786
- Web site: www.medanswering.com
If customers or providers have complaints about Medicaid transportation services or their transportation services, contact either:
- Timothy J. Perry-Coon at 518-402-3968 or 518-473-5535 or by e-mail at email@example.com
- Heidi Seney by phone at (518) 473-2160 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Vendor and provider contacts
- Transportation vendors having questions may contact the state directly by phone at (518) 473-2160 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
- Medical providers and transportation vendors that have questions about the eligibility verification process should contact Computer Sciences Corporation at (800) 343-9000.